Downtown Coeur d'Alene , Kootenai County. Courtesy of Quicksilver Photography.
The Driver’s License Office is the mandated vendor for the Idaho Department of Transportation for processing all classes of Drivers Licenses and Identification Cards.
If you are applying for a driver's license, identification card, instruction permit or drivers training permit, you are required to provide the following documents to the driver’s license examiner: (Identification cards require the same documents except for last three documents listed below).
*Photo Identification. Acceptable photo identification: state issued drivers license or state issued identification card – current or expired, US passport, military ID, tribal ID, school yearbook, middle school or high school ID. (NO COLLEGE ID).
***If you have a state issued drivers license or identification card, you do not need a certified birth certificate and certified name change documents, unless your name has changed.***
* Certified Birth Certificate . A certified copy of a birth certificate (NO photocopies accepted) may be obtained from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics in the State where you were born.
* Certified Name Change Document if changing name at the time of application or issue.
*Proof of Idaho Residency-(Business Mail recently postmarked, utility billing, lease or rental agreement, or employment payroll stub. Document must have both your name and home address [where you live] and be dated within the last month).
* Acceptable Legal-Presence Documents (If not a US Citizen).
* Social Security Number.
* School Enrollment (VOC), Verification of Compliance letter, or High School Diploma or certified GED certificate (if under 18).
* Liability Signer (if under 18).
* Driver Training Completion (if under 17).
Applicants with an out of state driver's license that is current or not expired over 12 months are required to take a written test. If expired for 12 months or more, the applicant is required to take a written and skills test. Suspensions have to be clear in all states and countries to apply for and receive an Idaho drivers license.
Applicants with an Idaho driver's license that has expired 6 months or more must provide Proof of Idaho Residency. If the Idaho license has expired 25 months or more, the applicant is also required to take a written and skills test. Applicants who have an Idaho license and then apply out of state for a driver's license or identification card must reapply, test and provide Proof of Idaho Residency.
Hours of Operation:
** MONDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2016 - THE OFFICE WILL NOT BE OPEN UNTIL 8:30AM **
451 Government Way